Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lily's First Day of School

I spent many moments crying in the lead up to today. My baby girl starting school, a few days before your 5th birthday. When did my baby grow up? I wasn't ready, but you most definitely were!



Lily you looked so cute and grown up in your school uniform and seemed invincible, ready for anything.  I am very proud of you, my baby girl. You waved to other mums we saw as they exclaimed over how you looked all ready for school! Not one hint of that shyness that sometimes overcomes you. You were so eager to start - "hurry up Mum, I don't want to be late". You walked straight in and your teacher said "Hello Lily" and she gave you your name badge and asked you to go sit next to your friend Madi. You sat together and you started colouring in like you had been going to school for years. No tears were shed by you or me, but writing this now, I feel the tears trying to surface. 



I am so proud of you. I hope you are having the best first day ever!!

When Zane started school last year, I had a poem I had found a few years back. This time I found a special starting school poem that felt just right for you.

 
First Day of School poem

She started school this morning,
And she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
In the Kindergarten hall.
And as she took her place beside
the others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass.
Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk.
This little girl so much absorbed
In learning how to write.
It seems as though she must have grown
To girlhood overnight.
My eyes were blurred by hastily
I brushed the tears away
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day.
Oh how I longed to stay with her
And keep her by the hand
To lead her through the places
That she couldn’t understand.
And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side.
But she must have her chance to live,
To work her problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn
What life is all about.
And I must share my little girl
With friends and work and play;
She’s not a baby anymore –
She’s in Kindergarten today.




Fiona

 x

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear. That just gave me a flood of memories from when my girls started school. My baby girl started high school this year, boy that was hard too :-(
    D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that she has embraced school with such enthusiasm Fiona. What a beautiful poem too...very special!!!

    Sheree xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks so happy Fiona. I'm so glad you both had an easy first school morning :-)

    ReplyDelete